Home > Survey
Says > Take a Survey
SmartGirls On Videogames
Research shows that just as many girls are playing videogames
as boys, but for some reason, popular culture still considers videogames
to be a boy's toy. Are they a boy's toy? Tell us how much you play
and what you like to play so this survey can set the record straight!
First or fake name:
How old are you?
Are you a:
I am the
in my family.
What is your racial/ethnic background?
Latin American descent
Middle Eastern descent
Native American descent
Oceania/Pacific Islander descent
(If USA, please type USA.)
*If you are under the age of 13, please use your parent's email address
This email address will be used to notify you when the results
are published. It will not be saved or added to any mailing lists.
This information is to help us organize
our data and show interesting statistics like how people from different
countries responded to questions. You can skip any question that makes
you feel uncomfortable!
1. How many hours do you spend each week playing videogames?
I never play videogames
2 hours or less
21 or more hours
2. How long do you usually spend playing a videogame
in one sitting?
I never play videogames
Less than 1 hour
4 or more hours
3. Which gaming consoles, PCs, or handheld/mobile devices
do you play games on the most?
4. How many different videogames have you ever played?
51 games or more
5. What is one of your favorite videogames of all time?
6. What is one of your favorite videogames to play
7. What's your favorite type of videogame?
Role Playing Game
8. Why is that your favorite type of game?
9. What is your least favorite type of videogame?
10. Why is that your least favorite type of game?
11. Do you prefer to play alone or with friends?
12. Do you think it is important for human videogame characters
to have realistic body types?
Yes. It is better for self-esteem.
No. It's just a game.
13. Would you rather play a game where you
get to design your own avatar or use a premade avatar, like Mario
or Lara Croft?
I want to make my own avatar!
Give me a pre-made avatar--I just want to play!
14. Name a videogame whose music you really like:
15. If you could design a videogame about anything you want,
what would it be like? Be as descriptive as you want! We'll post
the most interesting responses.
16. If you could, would you take a class in video game design?
17. What are your top three favorite parts
Pick more than one by holding down "CTRL" while
Developing a character
Being in a different world
Fighting and using weapons
Puzzling out strategies
building, and designing
The action and speed
Competition and winning
18. What is the LEAST interesting part of
19. Imagine you are playing a game where a tough level or
boss is coming up. Do you grind and build up your skills on lower
levels or monsters so that you know you'll win the first time? Or
do you take the risk and try it right away?
I take my time so I know I will win.
I go for it! I can always try again!
20. Is it important for you to get the best scores or progress
to the next level as quickly as possible?
Yes, I want to be the best!
No, I just want to play!
21. How do you feel about getting a Game Over, failing, or
dying in a videogame?
Bad! I go to great lengths to avoid it.
I don't mind. It happens.
22. What do you think about in-game romances?
I'm OK with it.
It might be interesting.
No, that's icky!
It would make me feel weird.
23. What's one really good memory you have playing videogames?
24. What's one really bad memory you have playing videogames?
25. Do you play any games online that you want to share with
other SmartGirls? Share the URL here:
Help us improve our surveys by giving your feedback!
The following questions are optional.
Did you like this survey?
Why or why not?
What would you like to see a survey about in the future?
Click "Submit Survey" only once. Thank
you for telling us!
Please share this survey with a friend. We want to hear
from as many SmartGirls as possible!
All our surveys are anonymous; check out our privacy